Tuesday, 13 March 2012

What's hiding in your house?

Today I started training for a RPN position and I got to talk to the Health and Safety Manager. I definitely left there scared.
He started to talk about Asbestos. Asbestos is a mineral made up of tiny fibers. In the past, asbestos was added to a variety of products to strengthen them and to provide heat insulation and fire resistance. Many homes were made using asbestos for insulation, flooring and in heating and electrical systems. He told me that asbestos was used the most in 1950-1970 and if your house is 10 years or older is most likely has asbestos. But the good thing is it's not dangerous until you start touching it, for example, renovations. Also when working with it make sure you spray with water so it doesn't make dust fibers and always wear a air-chamber mask. For example when you are sanding down the roof that has dots all over. When its becomes dust that is when you are putting your health at risk. Make sure you talk to your contractor about this and ask what precautions he is using. Make sure you are using a good contractor!

No comments:

Post a Comment